Holland Construction Services maintains safety as the highest priority for every job. We are committed to providing the safest possible working environment because compliance to the highest standards benefits employees, management, subcontractors and owners alike. Our safety program consists of several facets to ensure that all company and site employees are active participants in a functional and successful safety culture that goes above and beyond Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA) standards.
Holland employs Doug Devlin as our full-time Safety & Health Director. This field based position ensures our high standards for safety are met. Doug holds a Bachelor’s Degree in occupational safety and health from an American Board of Engineering and Technology accredited program. He is a Certified Safety Professional, Certified Health and Safety Technician, and a previous Specialized Government Employee ensuring Holland works in unison and partnership with OSHA.
Our jobsites require 100 percent hardhat use, incorporate a six-foot fall protection rule, require proper attire, ensure preconstruction safety meetings with foremen, new-hire orientations, and an overall exceeded level of safety participation.
Additionally, Holland works directly with the Southern Illinois Builders Association safety trainers to certify that our project superintendents are competent in general OSHA requirements, fall protection, first aid, CPR, scaffolding, excavation and other personal training courses. All of our superintendents hold an OSHA 30-hour certification card and continue to attend additional training courses as necessary. The superintendent provides the first line of safety inspection on the jobsite; therefore, substantial safety training for them is critical.
As a company, we strive to set ambitious safety goals that will strengthen our culture and achieve the highest safety levels within the construction industry. Holland has worked with OSHA in Voluntary Protection Programs (VPP) and will continue to seek out future projects to further our collaborative relationship. Holland remains the only downstate Illinois construction company to have achieved VPP status at the star level. In addition to VPP status, we have also been awarded multiple safety-related designations over the past five years by both Bituminous Insurance and the Associated General Contractors.
We believe that safety and success go hand in hand; which is why we continue to support, enforce and incorporate safety and awareness into all of our projects.
Holland Construction Services has identified that safety is an essential component in our business. We feel that construction activities can and should be accomplished without accidents. Therefore, we have determined that employee safety will be our first priority on all projects. To ensure that end, management will:
- Provide time, money, and resources to ensure that safety is given the highest priority in every aspect of our business.
- Authorize the purchase of necessary equipment in order that all phases of work can be accomplished in a safe manner.
- Ensure that our Statement of Safety Policy is reviewed and updated annually in order that it exceeds the minimum standards established by OSHA law.
- Establish a Safety Committee comprised of individuals from all departments to ensure that our policies and procedures are continually critiqued and updated.
- Continue to offer safety training, education, and certifications to all Holland employees seeking advancement.
- Empower employees at all levels to ensure these priorities are met.
Our desired results are:
- To provide a safe and effective working environment for Holland employees and subcontractors.
- To complete calendar year without an OSHA recordable case, lost time case, or workman’s compensation claim.
- To further reduce and maintain an insurance Experience Modification Rate (EMR) below the industry average of 1.0.
- Maintain our relationship and partnership with Region V OSHA office.
- To be recognized as an employer who cares for the well being of those involved with our projects and everyone in our industry.
- Educated Holland employees in the field of Safety and choosing new hires that are properly trained in maintaining a safe workplace.
Holland takes safety seriously…
- ZERO Lost Time cases in over 8+ years
- ZERO OSHA Recordable Incidents in over 8+ years
- Experience Modifier Rate Factor of 0.79 (2015), well below the industry average of 1.0.
- Safety Excellence award from the Southern Illinois Builders Assn. (SIBA) each year dating back to 2007.
- SIBA’s Safety Merit Award for contractors working between 60,000-150,000 man-hours without a Lost time Accident.
- Safety recognition awards from the Associated General Contractors of Missouri (AGC) over the past 8 years.
- Numerous safety related awards from Bituminous Insurance based on OSHA recordable & OSHA lost time cases being well below industry average.