Holland maintains safety as the highest priority for every job. We are committed to providing the safest possible working environment because compliance to the highest standards benefits employees, management, subcontractors and owners alike. Our safety program consists of several facets to ensure that all company and site employees are active participants in a functional and successful safety culture that goes beyond OSHA standards.
- Holland employs a full-time, field-based Safety & Health Director (Doug Devlin) along with several Construction Safety Engineers.
- Our jobsites require 100 percent hardhat use, incorporate a six-foot fall protection rule, require proper attire, incorporate preconstruction safety meetings with foremen and new-hire orientations, and exceed most industry standards for level of jobsite safety participation.
- All Holland project superintendents hold an OSHA 30-hour certification card and continue to attend additional training courses, ensuring they are competent in general OSHA requirements, fall protection, first aid, CPR, scaffolding, excavation, and other personal training courses.
- Holland has worked with OSHA in Voluntary Protection Programs (VPP) and continues to seek out future projects to further our collaborative relationship. We have also been awarded multiple safety-related designations over the past ten years by both Bituminous Insurance and the American General Contractors.
We believe that safety and success go hand in hand; which is why we continue to support, enforce and incorporate safety and awareness into all of our projects.
Holland Construction Services has identified that safety is an essential component in our business. We feel that construction activities can and should be accomplished without accidents. Therefore, we have determined that employee safety will be our first priority on all projects. To ensure that end, management will:
- Provide time, money, and resources to ensure that safety is given the highest priority in every aspect of our business.
- Authorize the purchase of necessary equipment in order that all phases of work can be accomplished in a safe manner.
- Ensure that our Statement of Safety Policy is reviewed and updated annually in order that it exceeds the minimum standards established by OSHA law.
- Establish a Safety Committee comprised of individuals from all departments to ensure that our policies and procedures are continually critiqued and updated.
- Continue to offer safety training, education, and certifications to all Holland employees seeking advancement.
- Empower employees at all levels to ensure these priorities are met.
Our desired results are:
- To provide a safe and effective working environment for Holland employees and subcontractors.
- To complete calendar year without an OSHA recordable case, lost time case, or workman’s compensation claim.
- To further reduce and maintain an insurance Experience Modification Rate (EMR) below the industry average of 1.0.
- Maintain our relationship and partnership with Region V OSHA office.
- To be recognized as an employer who cares for the well being of those involved with our projects and everyone in our industry.
- Educated Holland employees in the field of Safety and choosing new hires that are properly trained in maintaining a safe workplace.
Holland takes safety seriously…
- ZERO OSHA Recordable Incidents in over 10 years
- Experience Modifier Rate Factor of 0.85 (2017), well below the industry average of 1.0.
- Safety Excellence award from the Southern Illinois Builders Assn. (SIBA) each year dating back to 2007.
- SIBA’s Safety Merit Award for contractors working between 60,000-150,000 man-hours without a Lost time Accident.
- Safety recognition awards from the Associated General Contractors of Missouri (AGC) over the past 10 years.
- Numerous safety related awards from Bituminous Insurance based on OSHA recordable & OSHA lost time cases being well below industry average.